Sunday, February 20, 2011

Update 2 - Feb. 20th, 2011

Asking around, it seems that people have many ideas as to how to fill up my Pokedex. Some Pokemon whose data I am missing are mentioned only in legends... and some not at all. I can't help but admit that people seem to be calling me a "Pokemon Master" lately, so I feel as if I should live up to their expectations. I have a Pokedex and I have a bag full of Poke Balls and other essential supplies, so now seems as a good a time as any to start. And it seems the grass right around here could be hiding new and exciting Pokemon for me to see... and possibly even befriend?
-
Day one was, unfortunately, not as eventful as I had hoped. I'm already starting to realize how difficult this journey will be. However, I'm doing my best and I am proud to report that I have added three Pokemon to my collection today. I also called up an old friend from Sinnoh who should be able to help me get some Pokemon that don't seem to appear around Johto and Kanto too much. Still, even without his help I should be able to get most of the Pokemon I need if I plan my time right. Today's search was haphazard, at best, and I like to think I would have procured more Pokemon had I planned correctly. As I write this, I'm researching Pokemon locations so I won't have to rely upon word of mouth more than absolutely necessary. Still, the people I have met on my journey have been quite helpful so far and I am, as always, very grateful to them.
My Pokedex told me the first Pokemon I could find in the area was Lickitung, number 108. The closest- and only- place to find them in Johto was on Route 44, between Mahogany and Blackthorn. Skie got me to Mahogany quickly enough, but it was a chore finding a Lickitung. I pestered the local trainers (I like to think of them as old friends, but I'm pretty sure they think of me as an old rival...) and discovered why I couldn't find a Lickitung anywhere in sight: They only appear in a secluded patch of grass hidden by two small ponds! As it turns out, the Lickitung there are pretty common and I was able to find one quickly enough, which Aces helped me capture!
New Pokedex Entry
#108 - Lickitung
Licking Pokemon - Normal Type
Height 3'11" - Weight 144.4lbs
"Its tongue has well-developed nerves that run to the very tip, so it can be deftly manipulated."

My Pokedex next turned me towards Ecruteak City, home of the Burned Tower and its fiery inhabitant Magmar. Getting to Ecruteak was a breeze and finding the Burned Tower definitely wasn't hard. I even got a few helpful hints from the townsfolk, eager to help an aspiring Pokemon Master on his quest. Magmar was found on the lowest floor of the tower, a place that brought back many memories of its legendary inhabitants. Magmar was a bit harder to find in its natural habitat than Lickitung, but my search turned one up after only a few tries. Again, Aces flew in and saved the day... with a little help from a handy Dusk Ball, very effective in the darkness of the tower basement.
New Pokedex Entry
#126 - Magmar
Spitfire Pokemon - Fire Type
Height 4'03" - Weight 98.1lbs
"It dislikes cold places, so it blows scorching flames to make the environment suitable for itself."

By this time, it was some time after midday, but the sun was still high in the sky and I had more Pokemon to find. My Pokedex's third suggestion brought me to Viridian Forest in Kanto to find the Pokemon Ariados. Ariados, it seems, can only be found in this (extra creepy) forest when a Pokemon dislodges it from a tree with a Headbutt attack. To do this I had to find a Pokemon already in my possession that knew Headbutt. Fortunately, my old friend Linoone was willing to help. Into the forest we headed, terrorizing any trees we saw along the way.
As I said before, today was not my lucky day. Ariados proved to be too rare of a Pokemon for my search. My search was not in vain, though! After a waterfall of Hoothoot and Spinarak I finally found a Pokemon I hadn't been expecting: a Seedot! I managed to catch a couple of them to add to my collection before finally giving up on Ariados for now. It seems I will have to evolve a Spinarak if I want to find that particular Pokemon.
New Pokedex Entry
#273 - Seedot
Acorn Pokemon - Grass Type
Height 1'08" - Weight 8.8lbs
"It attaches itself to a tree branch using the top of its head. Strong winds can sometimes make it fall."

My final Pokemon search of the day was the elusive Marill. It is apparently a common Pokemon for "swarms" in the Mt. Mortar area. Unfortunately it's also very rare when not swarming in the area, so my search seemed to be in vain. Still, the sun was just barely touching the horizon when I entered the cave east of Ecruteak, so I decided to end my day there. 
As expected, I found no Marill within those damp walls. I was able to watch the sun set through the hole in which I had entered. It seems I was destined not to find one today, but as I set up camp for the evening I still smiled at my rather meager start. I will fill my Pokedex some day and I hope each day until then is as much of an adventure.
I learned some things today; that much is true. I am already planning tomorrow's Pokemon hunt in earnest. I will waste as little time as possible while finding the most unique Pokemon I can. And, as always, I will record every step here so I will never forget my journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment